Select two recommenders who know you well, whose opinions you trust, and who want to see you succeed. These individuals must be able to provide specific examples, anecdotes, and evidence of your ability and determination to make a difference. Register these recommenders through your online application as early in the application process as possible. Both letters of recommendation must be submitted by the application deadline: September 12, 2018 at 1:00 Pacific Time.
The application system will send each recommender a personalized link to submit her/his recommendation online. For verification purposes, register your recommender using her/his work email account, not a personal account such as Gmail, Yahoo!, etc. Here are a few things to consider as you choose recommenders:
- In general, we care about the content of the letter, not the title or position of the person who wrote it.
- Your Knight-Hennessy Scholars recommendations are the only reference letters that we will review before we provide input to your graduate program.
- Once your graduate program shares its feedback with Knight-Hennessy Scholars, we also will review your departmental recommendation letters. As such, your recommendation choices for the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program should make a compelling independent case, and also complement the references of your graduate program.
- It's fine to ask the same person to provide recommendations for your graduate program and for Knight-Hennessy Scholars, but ensure that he/she submits distinctive letters of reference that address the questions each application requires.
We ask your recommenders to assess some character and leadership traits in the reference letters, and to address the following:
- Please explain how you know and interact with the applicant.
- Please tell us about a time the applicant did something that benefited others.
- Please tell us about a time the applicant faced adversity.
- Please tell us about a time the applicant surprised you.
- Is there anything else that we should know about the applicant?