Financial Support for Cost of Attendance
As a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, you receive funding for up to three years for any graduate degree(s) at Stanford to which you are admitted at the time you are selected as a scholar.
After enrolling at Stanford, if you wish to enroll in an additional graduate program, you may apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program to receive additional funding up to the maximum of three years. This additional funding is not guaranteed.
If a degree program exceeds three years — such as an MD or PhD program, or a Stanford dual- or joint-degree program — then your Stanford home department(s) will often fund the remainder of your education to the extent consistent with its standard funding commitment for that program. This standard funding commitment varies by department and school. Please contact the graduate program with specific questions about those commitments.
During each of the first three years of graduate study, Knight-Hennessy Scholars receive:
- a fellowship applied directly to cover tuition and associated fees
- a stipend for living and academic expenses (such as room and board, books, academic supplies, instructional materials, local transportation, and reasonable personal expenses)
- a travel grant intended to cover an economy-class ticket for one annual trip to and from Stanford
- NOTE: Knight-Hennessy Scholars also may access supplemental funds to support academic enrichment (e.g., conference travel).
Additional Funding for Special Situations
If you engage in optional research projects during the summer, the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program may provide summer funding, through separate application and approval. In addition, Knight-Hennessy Scholars pursuing positive impact through social ventures may be eligible to apply for seed funding.
What is Not Covered
- Fellowship stipends are taxable, but not subject to withholding (except for international students from a country without a tax treaty). Please carefully review the tax information at https://vpge.stanford.edu/fellowships-funding/policies#Taxes and be sure to budget accordingly for any tax responsibilities. The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program does not reimburse students for taxes.
- Stanford Financial Aid Office graduate student budget
- Stanford Financial Services Tax Information
- Bechtel International Center Tax Information for International Students
If you have questions about how this might apply to your circumstances, were you selected as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, please write us for more information.
Last updated March 31, 2021